Updated: Mar 14, 2020
Too many are being affected by the flu and other viruses right now and it makes me think about our homeopathic routine.
Many think there is nothing to be done when it comes to viruses, I am here to debunk that thinking. There so much you can do to help boost your system to conquer any bad bacteria or viruses that enter your system.
The idea is if you fuel your body with these powerhouse tools now then your body becomes a powerhouse and if/when you are exposed to that virus your body will know what to do, it will be stronger and be able to fight it off without totally going under.
So here are a few tips that we implement in our house every day to keep our systems strong:
What to eliminate or limit:
+ SUGAR – though it may seem tasty, this sneaky ingredient can break down the immune system, making it weak and unable to fight off bad bacteria and viruses
Effects of sugar include:
- Cranky mood, anxiety and depression due to rapid rises in adrenaline levels
- Cancer risk – sugar consumption has been linked to many forms of cancer including breast, ovarian, prostate and lung.
- Many “low-fat” processed foods have sugars hidden by other ingredient names. When you eat real foods (choose full fat) you may find you actually feel healthier and manage weight easier.
- Too much sugar can lead to breakouts, wrinkles, and even psoriasis
- Sugar weakens you immune system against viruses and infectious disease, by inhibiting the fighting strength of white blood cells
- Sugar gives a quick burst of energy, but blood sugar crashes leaving people more exhausted then before
…so next birthday party opt for some fresh fruit instead.
+ Conventional, Toxic-Laden Products:
- Beware of ingredients like SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate), triclosan, fragrance and even anti-bacterial
- Studies are now showing anti-bacterial is a marketing tactic but not actually benefitting our systems as it was originally intended. Mega germs are becoming immune to this “anti-bacterial” and the soap is also packed with other harmful ingredients which is counter productive
- Choose products that are phthalate free, paraben free, fragrance free (book a consultation today so I can help you with this in your home or office!)
What to add to your everyday:
+ WATER – most people today are dehydrated which can be destructive on the system. Water helps flush out toxins and keeps your whole system clean. If your pee is yellow, it is a sign that your kidneys are not working as they should and you need to drink more water, especially this time of the year.
+ SLEEP – Most people are also fatigued and not getting enough sleep. Adults should be getting 7-8 hours of sleep per night. Kids should be getting 12-14 hours of sleep per day. When we sleep we allow our bodies to reset, to heal and to fight off anything that might be trying to attack.
Effects of sleep deprivation include:
- Weight gain
- Hunger (leading to poor eating choices)
- Impaired glucose levels/impaired glucose breakdown
- Cognitive dysfunction
- Rise in cortisol levels (which leads to stress, panic attacks)
- Lowered cellular immune function
+ Try to keep from touching your face during winter season… bacteria and viruses spread easier into your system that way.
+ If your body needs more support, listen to your body, stay home and rest. Refuel and double up on all of these things.
+ VITAMINS & SUPPLEMENTS – Are the supplements you are using working? Many supplements on our store shelves are not actually working and we are peeing out the vitamins. Vitamins + supplements need something to help them stick in our bodies. Vitamin D can help the absorption of vitamins along with pure essential oils. You will notice that your vitamins/supplements are working if you see clearer skin, better mood, higher energy, getting sick less and less, feeling happier overall
+ PROBIOTICS – these help support your gut and when your gut is supported it helps strengthen your immune system. Fermented foods help with this: pickles, sauerkraut
+ BONE BROTH -- this is another great way to strengthen your gut and your immune system. We buy a whole organic chicken often and use the carcass to make our own bone broth which we use in every dish that needs broth along with drinking a mug to help add that extra power boost. Find recipe here.
+ ANTIOXIDANTS – are you adding antioxidants to your system? These can help boost your immune system to fight off viruses.
Examples: elderberry syrup, goji berries, Ningxia red, blueberries, açai, strawberries, cherries, pomegranate
+ Immune defense: we use a roller with a powerful combination of cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon. These are all powerful antibacterial, antimicrobial and help strengthen the immune system. Adding these and other powerhouse foods like lemon, garlic, ginger, turmeric, onions, red/orange/yellow flesh veggies, and raw milk can help keep your system strong and your line of defense ready in the wintertime.
+ Organic rainbow foods – nutrient dense foods will keep your body healthy and happy
+ WASH your hands and DETOX baths – are an important way to get germs off of your body and detox your body. We use Epsom salts + lavender in our detox baths at night, also adds a calming effect.
+ APPLE CIDER VINEGAR – this is a very powerful tool. You can make tea with hot water, 2 Tbsp ACV, Manuka honey, lemon and ginger to help boost your system or help while feeling under the weather.
The biggest takeaway from this is consistency is key. Implement these things before you are sick. If you do get sick double up to combat the sickness. But you will find that if you are consistent you probably won’t get sick nearly as often and if you do get sick it is much milder than others who aren’t implementing these things into their day.